La mozzarella in the carriage is a prescription typical of Neapolitan cuisine, then spread throughout Campania and also in Lazio. Born at the end of the 800th century to recover leftover mozzarella and stale sandwich bread, it was a poor dish. The name derives from the preparation: the external part of the bread was removed, which assumed a rounded shape reminiscent of the large wheels of carriages. There fried mozzarella in carriages it's the version original, but today I want to offer you the prescription "Roast Mozzarella in Carrozza“, Lighter and more delicate. Baked mozzarella in carrozza can be eaten as an appetizer or as a single dish. In this case, I added some cooked ham because in my opinion it fits really well. At the end of the recipe you will also find a fabulous combination that you can use even if you decide to fry it. Keep in mind that the ingredients and recipe are identical in both cases, only the cooking changes.
Baked mozzarella in carrozza recipe:
Ingredients for 6 wheels:
- 6 slices of pannier bread
- 2 mozzarella of 100 g
- 3 eggs
- 3 slices of bread
- 2 spoons of parmesan
- 2 spoons of whole milk
- a pinch of salt
- to taste 3 slices of cooked ham or 12 anchovies
Now you can subscribe to my newsletter or scroll down the page to discover the mozzarella in carrozza recipe in the oven! 😇
Mozzarella in carrozza in the oven: preparation
1. Cut the mozzarella into slices about half a centimeter thick.
2. Beat the eggs, Parmesan and milk for a few seconds and add a pinch of salt.
3. Cut the bread with a pastry cutter to give it a regular shape, or cut it with a knife to remove the crust or edge.
4. fill the bread discs with mozzarella and pieces of ham;
5. pass the mozzarella in carrozza in the flour carefully to seal it in such a way as to prevent the mozzarella from escaping during cooking. But if it comes out it's still good ...
6. touch the discs inside the beaten eggs and then pass them in the bread from all sides, taking care to get anywhere;
7. lay them on the baking sheet with parchment paper;
8. put them in a preheated convection oven at 190 ° C for 15 minutes per side, then cook for 30 minutes.
Two yellow peppers cut into 4 parts each can be added as a side dish because they are cooked at the same time.
Baked mozzarella in carrozza: wine pairing
Baked mozzarella in carrozza is less fat than fried mozzarella in carrozza, however when melted it is always fat so choosing a savory bubble with a few years on the shoulders is a great idea. Mozzarella also has a sweet tendency and strong acidity.
Baldetti Spumante Brut Classic Method, disgorgement 2018
A very pleasant classic method from Cortona elaborated from chardonnay and grechetto grapes that I had in the cellar to refine for a couple of years. It has an intense straw yellow with golden reflections with a very fine perlage and an abundant, creamy and persistent foam. The nose is citrine, with notes of fruit tartlets, custard and jelly. In the mouth it is very fresh, creamy, overall vertical and suitable for any meal.
PS and what recipe for baked mozzarella in carrozza would you recommend? Have you ever prepared baked mozzarella in carriages? Leave me a comment!
How to become a sommelier
All my notes on wine and food in one book.
Available on demand
COMPLIMENTARY, only for those who buy my book on this blog, a copy of the First Collector's Edition of my Sparkling Wine Guide "500 Bubbles in 500", cover price € 25,30. [While stocks last]