A few days ago I saw an episode of Bake Off Italia in which apple pie was prepared and I felt like trying to make it at home too. Since I am not able to follow a recipe by thread and by sign, I have interpreted the original recipe of the episode of Bake Off Italia with the apple pie original american recipe that I found on Laura Evans' website putting in a little of mine to facilitate the homemade preparation of this fabulous dessert. Well the result was amazing and my husband literally went crazy too! I just tell you that he usually falls asleep very early in the evening, but tonight that I prepared it he was super operational until the second slice! 😄
Apple pie original recipe: the ingredients
Apple pie original recipe: the filling
- 600 g green apples (Granny Smith)
- 100 g of granulated sugar + 8 tablespoons of sugar
- 30 g of butter
- 30 g of cornstarch
- the juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons of water at room temperature
Apple pie original recipe: the "tart" or pie crust
- 320 g of 00 flour
- 220 g of cold butter
- 10 g of granulated sugar
- 5 g of fine salt
- 7 tablespoons of very cold water
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
Now you can subscribe to my newsletter or scroll down the page to continue reading the article!
Apple pie original recipe: the recipe in 6 simple steps
Apple pie original recipe / 1: prepare the apples
- Peel the apples with a potato peeler and cut them into large cubes, say 2 cm per side. I recommend: big cubes! No thin slices that mash during cooking! Put the apples in a bowl that can hold them and mix them comfortably.
- Squeeze the lemon and add it to the apples.
- Add 120 g of sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Mix carefully and let it rest at room temperature at least 1 hour, but in general the time of the remaining preparations will be sufficient.
Apple pie original recipe / 2: prepare the pie crust
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them with your hands.
- Turn the mixture over on a surface and knead quickly until you get a homogeneous dough, but without kneading too much.
- Divide the dough in half. Form two balls and squeeze them until you have two discs. Wrap them in plastic wrap or put them in two freezer bags, then let them rest in the freezer for 30 minutes (or 1 hour in the refrigerator of your choice).
Apple pie original recipe / 3: prepare the pan
- Take one of the two discs out of the freezer (or fridge). If you have cooled the dough discs in the freezer, put the second disc in the fridge. If you chilled the pie crust in the fridge, take out only one and leave the other in the fridge.
- Roll out the dough with a silicone rolling pin until it has a fairly circular shape and a thickness as thin as you can, say about 2-3 mm.
- Butter the glass pan well… I recommend it in glass because you can see if it is cooked to perfection underneath. I bought this glass tart mold on amazon (for only € 8,99 including shipping, incredible!) which I find fabulous and also decorative as it is perfect for serving apple pie on the table!
- You struggle with the dough on the pan and don't worry if you don't roll it out to perfection or a little dough is missing somewhere: simply remove if you have excess and add it where you need it! Place the snug fitting on the edge as well until it just overflows.
- Leave to rest in Frigerio for 15 minutes.
Now you can buy my Sommelier book: the illustrated manual or scroll down the page to continue reading the article!
Book "Sommelier: the Illustrated Manual" Special Edition 2022
All my notes on wine and food in one book.
€ 38,00 VAT included!
COMPLIMENTARY, only for those who buy my book on this blog, a copy of the First Collector's Edition of my Sparkling Wine Guide "500 Bubbles in 500", cover price € 25,30. [While stocks last]
Apple pie original recipe / 4: prepare the filling
For the filling, I made 2 preparations and joined them together, mindful of what I saw on Bake Off Italia!
- In the kettle, heat half a glass of water (100 ml) and keep it aside.
- Put 8 tablespoons of leveled sugar and 3 tablespoons of water in a saucepan and let it melt over low heat (I put 3 out of 9 with induction).
- As soon as the caramel takes on the color you want, then a not too dark brown (it must not burn and become too bitter) remove from the heat and add the boiling water, stirring quickly with a whisk. It will make some smoke, but don't worry - stop right away!
- Let it cool down just long enough to make the other sauce!
- Save two tablespoons of caramel sauce! (You will soon find out why ...)
Apple juice sauce
- In a saucepan, melt the butter.
- With a colander, separate the juice from the apples and add it to the butter.
- Let it cook over medium heat (I put at 5 out of 9) until it boils, then add the cornstarch and mix with a whisk. As soon as it solidifies and takes on a creamy consistency, turn off the heat and slowly add the caramel sauce while continuing to mix.
- Mix the mixture that you have obtained by combining the two apple sauces with great care.
- Place the stuffing bowl in the freezer for the time to roll out the covering dough.
Apple pie original recipe / 5: make the cake
- (Turn on the static oven at 220 ° C)
- Take out the disc of dough you left in the refrigerator and roll it out with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1-2 mm.
- Take the pan and the filling out of the freezer, then put the filling over the entire surface of the mold, making a little pile in the center.
- Put the disc of dough in the center and fold it towards the edge… if you have a mold like mine, the shape helps to have a perfect result even if you don't have manual skills to make the closing curls. You can simply push the dough with your finger until it sticks to the edge.
- With a small and sharp knife make 4 or 5 cuts in the center as in the photo.
- At this point the original recipe calls for brushing the cake with beaten egg yolk, but I don't like it because I feel the taste of the egg that bothers me in these preparations. Then brush with the caramel sauce (the famous two spoons I kept aside) and sprinkle a spoonful of granulated sugar.
Apple pie original recipe / 6: cooking
- Put the cake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes. I recommend: the apple pie is cooked in the lowest level of the oven!
- In my oven it is ready in 35 minutes, but allow 5 minutes of possible variation based on how your oven cooks. To understand if it is cooked you must first see the surface of the cake "boil", then check the base of the cake (this is why it is better to use the glass mold!). If the cake is golden and dry even in the base, remove it from the oven, if it is not, continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Attention! The surface of the cake must not darken! I have seen that with my oven there are no problems, but if you happen to have to extend the cooking time for safety, move the cake right on the base of the oven and lower the temperature a little. Do not use aluminum foil in the oven because it is dangerous for health (aluminum transfers to food with high temperatures), please! If you look at other recipes and they tell you to cover the cake with foil DON'T!
- Take the apple pie out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. When it's lukewarm, for me, it's the perfect time to eat it! Do not turn it out of the mold: the glass pan is not afraid of the knife and is perfect for serving!
My husband and I like to eat apple pie for breakfast, so I don't have photos paired with wine. However, I can always recommend one if you want to use this cake as a dessert after a meal.
To build a correct wine pairing I suggest you take into account 4 elements that characterize this cake:
- the overall sweetness
- the spiciness of the filling
- the acidity of the filling, given by apples and lemon, which balances the sweetness
- the buttery
So I would dare a sweet martinotti method sparkling wine served chilled with an important aroma and a slight spiciness and I have one in my head: the Sweet Malvasia of Casorzo d'Asti. It comes to mind PantaRei of Cantina di Casorzo, possibly forgotten in the cellar 1 or 2 years: an absolute spectacle!
Ah, the apple pie keeps perfect for 2 days at room temperature by covering the pan with cling film, but you can stretch it for up to 3 days. However, it is so good that one slice leads to another and it ends immediately!